Earlier this year, we posted about many spontaneous hover board fires that were causing serious issues, including house fires, all due to lithium-ion batteries. These spontaneous fire events were occurring when the batteries would overheat, often when the hover board was not in use. Similarly, the Samsung Galaxy 7 phone is banned on all United States airlines due to the fact that they can spontaneously combust and cause property damage or injury. If you carry such a phone, you cannot go through security or fly with one of these and you will be asked to discard it.
Now Huffington Post reports that ubiquitous e-cigarette batteries are the focus of concern. About 100 Americans have been hurt by exploding e-cigarettes. The cause is the lithium batteries used in these products. Often the injuries have occurred when the e-cigarette is in the pocket of the user, its batteries overheat and then explode with no warning. An explosion through clothing can cause damaging and disfiguring burns and should be of concern to anyone using these vapor alternatives to smoking. All it takes is for the batteries to overheat is to come in contact with something metal or when one battery comes in contact with another battery. In many cases that have been caught on camera, the batteries begin to smoke and then can spewed sparks, after which there is an explosion. These explosions can hurt the user and bystanders.