It’s the middle of summer in Georgia–and as we all know, summer in Georgia means fires. In the past week alone, several fires were reported in Gwinnett County, and I’m sorry to say that more than one of them caused enough damage to leave dozens of families temporarily homeless. Here’s a rundown:
Yesterday afternoon there were three very different <a href=" fires in Gwinnett County. The first was in Lawrenceville, where a knocked-down tree had apparently pulled down a power line sparking a fire. The second fire was at a Norcross apartment building. Four units were damaged, 25 residents were forced to seek temporary housing, and one was taken to Gwinnett Medical Center-Duluth for minor symptoms of smoke inhalation. The last call was for a vehicle fire in Suwanee; unfortunately the car was too far gone to be saved. Collateral also damage occurred in the form of damage to the garage it was parked at and blistered paint to a nearby vehicle.
And Thursday was only the beginning.
Two days prior, on Tuesday, there was a large apartment fire in Buford. The problem was made worse by the fact that the nearest fire hydrant was “out of order” per the City of Buford, so the firefighters had to spend precious minutes connecting to a farther-off water source. The fire was put down but nine families were displaced. In addition to the fire hydrant problem there were building issues: the more than 30-year-old building lacked firewalls or a sprinkler system.
Then during the thunderstorms last Friday night there were two separate fires, both of which were thought to have been caused by lightning. The first, which ravaged a home in Buford, displaced a family of four. The other destroyed a large home in Sandy Springs.
Now, these fires were caused by a variety of things–some (like the lightning) of which couldn’t have been controlled. However, many fires cause needless damage to property and people due to simple negligence or faulty craftsmanship. This includes poorly maintained buildings and sites, poorly placed or maintained electrical wires, overly flammable materials, and a host of other manufacturing defects in automobiles, space heaters and the like. There are laws and policies that can protect you from careless product manufacture and property management. Fortunately, we at the Law Offices of P. Charles Scholle, P.C. are highly trained in them.
If you have been seriously burned in a Georgia fire that could have been prevented or was caused by another’s carelessness, please don’t wait to seek legal advice. Contact us today for a free, confidential consultation. With offices in Duluth, the Perimeter and Atlanta, our Georgia burn injury legal professionals are here to make sure you get maximum compensation, so you can get back on your feet and on with your life.